Welcome to a food lover’s Manhattan adventure to breads, cakes and pastries heaven!!!

Welcome to my little adventure in the big city!

Being new to Manhattan, well-known for being a heaven for foodies like me, I decided to get to know my new home by exploring the local food culture and discovering the best places to enjoy what I am most passionate about - breads, cakes and pastries.

So if you share my excitement for these delightful baked goodies then read on and find out what Manhattan has to offer... Enjoy the adventure!

Friday, June 4, 2010

Amy's Bread

Hell’s Kitchen 672 Ninth Avenue New York, NY 10036 (212) 977-2670. Chelsea Market 75 Ninth Avenue New York, NY 10011 (212) 462-4338. The Village 250 Bleecker Street at Leroy Street New York, NY 10014 (212) 675-7802. http://www.amysbread.com/.













There are numerous bake shops to explore Manhattan, but one of the most interesting that I have read about is Amy’s Bread. Choosing among its various locations, I decided to head to the Chelsea Market, where each trip has always been fun for me because I find many interesting food stuff to buy. Not to mention great wine too!

Launched in 1992 by Amy Scherber, Amy’s Bread started as small store on Ninth Avenue in NYC’s Hell's Kitchen. Today, the bakery has over 150 employees and three retail stores including one at the Chelsea Market, where most of the breads are baked, and at The Village.

Stepping in the bright and busy Chelsea Market store, I immediately got excited (as I always do) when I see a wonderful selection of lovely looking, delightfully smelling bread. After all, Amy became famous for her Semolina with Golden Raisins and Fennel bread – as the kind staff who assisted me at the store explained.

So I quickly chose several delicious and interesting breads to try: Potato Onion Dill Bread, Black Olive Twist, Brioche, and Semolina with Golden Raisins and Fennel (of course I had to try what made them famous). Before paying I I knew I had to have something sweet so I also asked for the Sticky Buns (they claim these to be NY’s best). Since I wanted variety without overeating, I was happy to discover that most of their breads have the roll versions that are equally as good. The prices of the rolls and twists, compared to many bake shops I have been to, are quite reasonable at $0.55 to $1.60 a piece.

And they were quite scrumptious! The Potato Onion Dill Bread made from potato and unbleached flour had a crisp crust but a deliciously dense and soft buttery inside. The Black Olive Twist had an intensely chewy crust deliciously baked with the salty twist of olives in the center. The Sticky Buns had a wonderful caramel pecan topping on chewy bread that tastes of cinnamon and butter. Everything smelled good and tasted good!



But what surprised me the most was the Semolina with Golden Raisins and Fennel roll. This round golden brown bread sprinkled with crunchy semolina looked interesting, but the burst of flavour as soon as I chewed into the moist and chewy bread from the fennel mixed with the sweet golden raisins was wonderfully unexpected! I have never experienced and tasted this kind of bread before - certainly interesting and unforgettable.



Friendly staff? Check. Delicious, chewy, flavourful bread? Check. Variety of breads, cakes and pastries with a number of unusually interesting choices? Check. Reasonable prices? Check. A nice, laid back atmosphere? Check. Amy’s Bread certainly deserves the reputation it has gained for wonderful breads and pastries. Certainly a place I will frequent and highly recommend to friends. And yes, they do offer more than just breads - they serve sandwiches, salads, breakfast food and cater too!

No comments:

Post a Comment