Welcome to a food lover’s Manhattan adventure to breads, cakes and pastries heaven!!!

Welcome to my little adventure in the big city!

Being new to Manhattan, well-known for being a heaven for foodies like me, I decided to get to know my new home by exploring the local food culture and discovering the best places to enjoy what I am most passionate about - breads, cakes and pastries.

So if you share my excitement for these delightful baked goodies then read on and find out what Manhattan has to offer... Enjoy the adventure!

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Fat Witch Bakery


Chelsea Market. 75 9th Avenue New York, NY 10011. (212)807-1335. http://www.fatwitch.com/.











If you’re looking for brownie heaven then Fat Witch bakery is THE place to go. With a business successfully built on brownies, Fat Witch uses all natural ingredients, does not add emulsifiers and only bakes in small batches to keep these yummy and moist brownies always fresh.

Fat Witch has two locations in Manhattan – at the Chelsea Market and at the Fat Witch Factory in Harlem. Their brownies are baked in both locations and it is at their simple Chelsea Market bakery that my friend brought me to, to try these famous brownies.

Fat Witch’s brownies are called Big Witches and come in the following flavours: Fat Witch Original brownie (moist with a delicious chocolate flavour with just the right sweetness), Java Witch (original with cappuccino chocolate chips), Blonde Witch (similar to a chocolate chip cookie baked as a brownie), Snow Witch (white chocolate brownie) and Breakfast Witch (brownie with oatmeal walnut and coffee). The Fat Witch Original also has various interesting variations: Red Witch (with dried cherries), Caramel Witch and Fat Witch Walnut.

Some flavors such as Fat Witch Original, Blonde Baby and Walnut Baby are available in Baby Witches (the miniature versions). All Big Witches are priced at $2.85 each and the Baby Witches at $1.50. For those who want to give these as gifts, these also come in an assortment of packs in various sizes and flavours. Not all packs are available at the store but are available online. And you may even choose the flavours to put in the gift packs.


My personal favourites are the Java Witch and the Breakfast Witch, which I both love to have either for breakfast or for an afternoon perk-me-up to complement my coffee. These are usually soft and moist when I get them from the bakery but become moist and chewy -and much more delectable since the chocolate bits are harder and more fun to bite into- after being refrigerated (since I prefer to have these cold).

I am not so much a brownie lover as I am a cake and bread lover, but Fat Witch has a great selection of your basic brownie flavours that will satisfy any sweet craving you may have. It is the perfect place to go to when you need a sugar rush and do not want to complicate your life with too many dessert options. Indeed, Fat Witch deserves the very good reviews it has received from many very happy customers like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment