Welcome to a food lover’s Manhattan adventure to breads, cakes and pastries heaven!!!

Welcome to my little adventure in the big city!

Being new to Manhattan, well-known for being a heaven for foodies like me, I decided to get to know my new home by exploring the local food culture and discovering the best places to enjoy what I am most passionate about - breads, cakes and pastries.

So if you share my excitement for these delightful baked goodies then read on and find out what Manhattan has to offer... Enjoy the adventure!

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Billy's Bakery

Chelsea 184 9th Avenue (212) 647-9956. Tribeca 75 Franklin Street (212) 647-9958. http://www.billysbakerynyc.com/.




Billy’s Bakery was founded in 2003 by two friends from business school with the goal of providing “classic American baked goods in a warm, friendly atmosphere”. And such is the character of Billy’s, a brightly lit place that, indeed, reminds you of Grandma’s kitchen and where the delicious smell of fresh cakes and pastries from goodies baked on site greets you as soon as you step into the bake shop. Not to mention the friendly staff who make you feel right at home.


A wide variety of scrumptious and lovely looking cakes, cupcakes, pies and pastries adorn the chillers and behind, trays and counters of freshly baked wonderful little sweet things being prepared by the staff. I did my homework and asked friends, who very highly recommended Billy’s, to tell me what their favorites were but it was not easy to pick what I wanted to try from this charming place because everything looked so delightful!


There were layers of beautiful cakes such as Red Velvet and German Chocolate Cake, mouth watering pies such as Apple Crumb and Peanut Butter Chocolate, tempting pastries such as Hello Dollies (bars with graham crackers, chocolate chips, butterscotch, coconut and pecans) and Lemon Bars, creamy Banana Pudding, delectable mini Key Lime and Cherry Cheesecakes, and so many pretty little cupcakes.

I finally settled to trying a slice of Key Lime Pie (my favourite kind of pie), a slice of Pineapple Upside Down Cake and a Carrot Cupcake. Again, do not worry as I did not enjoy all of these in a single sitting. But mind you, I wanted to!

The Key Lime Pie had a thick, creamy lime filling that was slightly tangy and slightly sweet, and was complemented by the slightly buttery gingersnap crust. It was pleasing but I recommend Two Little Red Hen’s Key Lime Pie – really the best Key Lime Pie I have tried so far.

The Pineapple Upside Down cake was wonderfully moist and hinted of vanilla with bits of pineapple and cherries baked within  the cake, and on top, more pineapple and cherries caramelized with golden brown sugar. This one I loved and found very refreshing! A perfect summer cake!

And the Carrot cupcake, which had a creamy cream cheese icing on top and a soft and moist cake made of cinnamon, carrots, coconut, pineapple and pecans, was really wonderful! One of the best carrot cupcakes I have tried too!

If Two Little Red Hens is my cupcake heaven...Billy’s is my cakes and pies heaven! Every time I remember stepping into Billy’s and seeing all these beautiful, delectable freshly baked goodies, I cannot help but feel my mouth water. They definitely deserve receiving my first ever perfect rating. I still can’t forget the luscious looking cakes and pastries and I can’t wait to go back as my goal is to try each and every one of these.  Next on my list would be their “Famous” Chocolate Icebox Cake, the Banana Cream Pie and Caramel Pecan Cheesecake. Billy’s here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment