Welcome to a food lover’s Manhattan adventure to breads, cakes and pastries heaven!!!

Welcome to my little adventure in the big city!

Being new to Manhattan, well-known for being a heaven for foodies like me, I decided to get to know my new home by exploring the local food culture and discovering the best places to enjoy what I am most passionate about - breads, cakes and pastries.

So if you share my excitement for these delightful baked goodies then read on and find out what Manhattan has to offer... Enjoy the adventure!

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Ceci-Cela Patisserie

55 Spring Street New York, NY 10012 (212)274-9179 http://www.cecicelanyc.com/.



I discovered Ceci-Cela Patisserie by reading through NY Magazine’s critic’s pick list of Bake Shops. Founded by pastry chef Laurent Dupal, who was trained at the prestigious Compagnons du Devoir du Tour de France, this charming little shop in SoHo has been creating the most delectable pastries using the best ingredients in the highest artisanal quality in New York for 15 years now. More recently, Chef Dupal has expanded his business into a full-range online wholesale operation where he will accommodate special requests and together with his staff, will make new creations just for you.



Chef Dupal’s core product line is known collectively as Viennoiserie, these Croissants, Pains Aux Chocolats, Chaussons Aux Pommes, Pains Aux Raisins, and Brioches are delicately made by using only 100% pure butter, the best flours and complimentary ingredients. To complement the Viennoiserie, Ceci-Cela also offers luscious cakes with an array of textures and flavor combinations that include Poire William, Fraisier, and Black Forest, as well as other traditional items such as Quiches, Flans and crumbly butter crust Tarts filled with delicious Crème Patissière, and topped with fresh sweet fruit such as raspberries, kiwi, and strawberries.






The very simple, nondescript store front of Ceci-Cela along Spring Street and the small, unfussy space inside are the complete opposites of the splendid quality of coffee, cakes and pastries that this little gem of a place serves. And despite the number of people who walked in the store to buy coffee and pastries while I was excitedly deciding what to try, the man at the counter was kind enough to entertain my quick questions on what the must-tries in the store were.


 After a tough decision, I settled for buying an Almond Chocolate Croissant (I was informed was the best seller, $3.75), a Caramelized Pear Tart ($5.25), a Financier ($3.00) and a cup of skim Cafe Mocha ($3.75).



The Cafe Mocha, had a creamy cocoa taste that I found delicious and being not too sweet, perfectly complemented my Almond Chocolate Croissant. A perfect combination of the two of my most favourite ingredients – chocolate and croissant- the Almond Chocolate Croissant had a generous amount of crunchy almond slivers on top and was flaky on the outside, while remaining perfectly soft and moist with a creamy chocolate filling inside. A lover of almond croissants, this is the best I have tried in and outside of New York.
The Caramelized Pear Tart had a delicate pastry that melts in your mouth topped with a moist pear slice slightly sweetened and spiced with cinnamon. While the Financier, an Almond flour-based tea cake topped fresh berries, was crusty on the outside and moist on the inside with surprising bits of almond to enhance your experience with each bite.

How did I find Ceci-Cela’s pastries? Scrumptious and definitely heavenly!!!

Though the store is simple and too small to eat at, reviews of Ceci-Cela having “exquisite concoctions” and “impossibly delicious pastries” do not exaggerate. With an array of mouth-watering cakes and pastries, you will surely find something that will suit what you’re craving for. Either for special occasions or to please your own palate, Ceci-Cela will not disappoint. I have found a new favorite!

1 comment:

  1. I hope I can visit all of these places some day. Not good to check out your blog early in the morning when I haven't had breakfast yet. It makes me want to drive to the nearest pastry shop. :D

    ReplyDelete