Welcome to a food lover’s Manhattan adventure to breads, cakes and pastries heaven!!!

Welcome to my little adventure in the big city!

Being new to Manhattan, well-known for being a heaven for foodies like me, I decided to get to know my new home by exploring the local food culture and discovering the best places to enjoy what I am most passionate about - breads, cakes and pastries.

So if you share my excitement for these delightful baked goodies then read on and find out what Manhattan has to offer... Enjoy the adventure!

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Cafe Lalo

201 West 83rd Street New York, NY 10024 (212) 496-6031 http://www.cafelalo.com/














Best known as the cafe where Meg Ryan was supposed to meet Tom Hanks in the movie, “You’ve Got Mail”, Cafe Lalo has fast gained popularity, attracting both locals and tourists into its European inspired, charming little cafe. Cafe Lalo is easy to find and is quite pretty, with its perfect location in one of the Upper West Side’s brownstone and tree-lined streets, pretty flowers lining its steps and the tall windows that allow the sun to brightly shine through and within the cafe interior.




Stepping inside though, you will immediately be overwhelmed with the number of cakes and pastries that they offer. More cakes than pastries, it seems that they have more than a hundred cakes in their coolers! Being that, it was quite difficult to actually choose what to try and it took me a while to decide. Finally, I tried the Tres Leches cake and the Capuccino Cheesecake. The Tres Leches had delicious buttery sponge cake moistened with milk and topped with lightly sweetened cream. A nice, simple dessert to satisfy a craving without overindulging. The Capuccino Cheesecake however, was quite ordinary compared to the sinfully luscious Junior’s Cheesecakes that I love.





The vast cake selection is consistent with Cafe Lalo’s menu, offering an array of themed breakfast sets (think Viennesse, Irish, Italian, Swiss, Morroccan and Parisian), eggs cooked in every way possible, salads, sandwiches, soups and beverages (alcoholic, coffee, teas, shakes, smoothies and juices). So many that they will not make it easy for you to choose. However, despite the choices, I cannot say that anything I have tried in the cafe (whether salad, smoothie, bread or cakes) got my attention or made me forget my name. On top of that, I find the food and desserts quite pricey for the taste as well as the portions ($7 for a small slice of cheesecake or a simple smoothie). Lastly, an important thing to note is that Cafe Lalo does not accept anything but cash, which I only found out as I was paying. No signs on the door or on the menu – something that may be quite inconvenient for customers who frequently use their debit or credit cards to pay.



On the positive side, Cafe Lalo has good service and a great selection that you will always find something you may be interested in trying out. Unfortunately, I believe it is the ambience that you pay for the most and which may not be something that is attractive or satisfying to most customers like me. Will I be back? Yes, I probably will, to have dessert and coffee once in a while and enjoy this lovely little place. And believe me - it will take a long, long time before I get to try even half of their cakes.

4 comments:

  1. The review was well written. I completely agree with two of your points in the post. Indeed, the slices are expensive and way too small. Certainly, you are not getting your bang for your buck at Lalo.

    Leo, in the paragraph where you talk about paying with a credit card, you said that they "do not accept cash." i understood what you meant, but i think that you wanted to say that they do not accept credit cards. All establishments should post their cash only policies at the door to avoid confusion and potential embarrassment of their patrons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! :) Yes, I did mean they don't accept anything but cash and not advising their customers in adavance about this may be a real inconvenience for many.

    Will try Cafe Edgar's sometime soon! Thanks for the reco!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi lee..just been given some really great zuchini muffins by auntie tess.the bakery though is not near my house.unlike the one's you go to..this muffin is so moist and had a lot of walnuts.truly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Leo!!! Wish I can visit all the places you've featured here. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete