Welcome to a food lover’s Manhattan adventure to breads, cakes and pastries heaven!!!

Welcome to my little adventure in the big city!

Being new to Manhattan, well-known for being a heaven for foodies like me, I decided to get to know my new home by exploring the local food culture and discovering the best places to enjoy what I am most passionate about - breads, cakes and pastries.

So if you share my excitement for these delightful baked goodies then read on and find out what Manhattan has to offer... Enjoy the adventure!

Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Bagel Mill

1700 1st Avenue New York, NY 10128 (212) 426-0868.











Apparently closed for a while because of a big fire that consumed the entire store, The Bagel Mill at Yorkville has re-opened with much bigger space. I have read very mixed reviews about this place – from excited loyalists who could not wait for their favorite place to open to disappointed former lovers who found the bagels to be "not the same". Since I have not read anything absolutely negative about it (and in fact most reviews were very positive), I wandered off to the Bagel Mill and tried it out.

It is indeed quite a spacious bagel place (more of a deli actually) not extremely big but not tight as most bagel places I have been to at Midtown and the Upper East Side. Even with a bit of a line, the service is quick, the staff is efficient and there are not many people sitting on the tables as most order to go.



The Bagel Mill is a smaller version of Tal, also within the area, but with a much friendlier staff. With a good variety of heavenly smelling bagels (Sesame, Poppy, Onion, Garlic and Whole Wheat Pumpernickel), huge muffins (Apple Cinnamon, Lemon Poppy, Chocolate Chop, Orange Cranberry and Banana Nut), and nice looking pastries (cookies and croissants). The bagel spread choices all look delicious, from cream cheese to lox spread, it took me a while to decide what I wanted.

Finally, I had an Onion Bagel with Chicken Mayo Spread and a Lemon Poppy Seed Muffin. The Onion Bagel was really chewy and moist, not tough and dry like some of the bagels I have tasted. The creamy Chicken Mayo Spread was made of chicken breast and asparagus chunks complemented my Onion Bagel well and which I found delicious! I did not expect it, but the Lemon Poppy Seen Muffin tasted good, soft and crumbly with a slight tangy Lemon taste and wonderful texture from the poppy seeds.

I find The Bagel Mill to be a comfortable neighborhood food shop. Unpretentious and efficient, with the various choices of freshly baked bagels, breads and pastries, the delicious spreads, the friendly staff and the good price (for the good-sized portions), this is certainly a place you know you can go to for a light meal any time of the day and satisfy a grumbling tummy!

1 comment:

  1. hi lee..woke up and got really hungry reading your review for the bagel shop..you are doing an excellent job..makes me want to buy everything..i'm still in search of a really nice pumpernickel bread..

    ReplyDelete