Welcome to a food lover’s Manhattan adventure to breads, cakes and pastries heaven!!!

Welcome to my little adventure in the big city!

Being new to Manhattan, well-known for being a heaven for foodies like me, I decided to get to know my new home by exploring the local food culture and discovering the best places to enjoy what I am most passionate about - breads, cakes and pastries.

So if you share my excitement for these delightful baked goodies then read on and find out what Manhattan has to offer... Enjoy the adventure!

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Bread Factory Cafe

785 Lexington Avenue New York, NY (212) 355- 5729 http://www.breadfactorycafe.com/











Intrigued by this cafe chain (with locations on 7th and 9th Avenues), I passed by the one along Lexington Avenue, which was packed with people enjoying brunch. Seemingly like many other cafe or deli chains in Manhattan that offers pizzas, pastas, sandwiches and salads, what called my attention to The Bread Factory Cafe was their store window decked with delicious looking cakes and pastries. And I love delicious looking cakes and pastries!


Obviously a busy cafe, all tables were taken with people enjoying their meals and the friendly staff were efficiently taking orders from the line by the take out counter. The set-up, products and vibe were indeed very similar to the usual Manhattan cafe or deli chain, what I found different was the immense selection of Breads, Cakes, Pastries, Pies, Rolls and Tarts as well as traditional cakes like Babka and Hamantaschen.



I was so tempted to try out the cakes and pastries, but being “The Bread Factory” I opted to try bread instead and ordered the Semolina Loaf. A bit worried at first that the Semolina Loaf did not look like the usual ones that I knew of from Amy’s Bread and Orwasher’s, being covered in sesame seeds (that kind of reminded me of a hamburger bun) I was not sure that this would not be something I would enjoy.



Surprisingly though, it was moist and soft, slightly buttery with a tender texture and the nutty taste of semolina. I toasted some slices and had these with butter and then with my Orange Apricot Marmalade from Sarabeth’s, which I found pleasing. However, with the price of $4 per loaf, I cannot help myself but compare with Amy’s and Orwasher’s, bake shops that make bread that I am completely in love with - at the same price.


So what do I think of The Bread Factory Cafe? It is definitely an option if you want to have a wide selection of Breads, Cakes and Pastries and are in search of something quick and inexpensive. But when it comes to bread...I would highly recommend artisanal breads to satisfy, especially for those who are passionate about and take pleasure in having their bread.

1 comment:

  1. morning lee..i love bread..thanks for all the info..today i'm going with a friend to a bakery.i hope to find some good cupcakes..i'll tell you about it later...

    ReplyDelete