Welcome to a food lover’s Manhattan adventure to breads, cakes and pastries heaven!!!

Welcome to my little adventure in the big city!

Being new to Manhattan, well-known for being a heaven for foodies like me, I decided to get to know my new home by exploring the local food culture and discovering the best places to enjoy what I am most passionate about - breads, cakes and pastries.

So if you share my excitement for these delightful baked goodies then read on and find out what Manhattan has to offer... Enjoy the adventure!

Monday, June 7, 2010

La Bergamote Patisserie

Chelsea 169 9th Avenue New York, NY, 10011, (212) 627-9010. Clinton 515 West 52nd. Street New York, Ny, 10019, (212) 586-2429. http://www.labergamotenyc.com/.










One of the bake shops that I have read a lot of good reviews about is La Bergamote Patisserie. Opened in 1998 by Executive Pastry Chef Stephane Willemin and Managing Director Romain Lamaze in Chelsea, they have now expanded and opened a new location at the Clinton area. What makes La Bergamote successful, according to their website, is their consistent product quality and use of fresh ingredients. According to customers, it is the consistently delicious food and heavenly pastries, the nice ambience and the good service by their friendly staff.

Dropping by to check La Bergamote at their Chelsea location, I was immediately greeted by an array of delicious-looking fruit pies and tarts. As I moved into the bake shop, there were more luscious and decadent looking miniature cakes (not your typical bake shop ones but more extravagant concoctions), colourful macaroons, and an assortment of freshly baked breads (brioches, croissants, baguettes and many more).



Again, trying not to overdo my orders, I opted to try a Raspberry Brioche and several small tarts and pastries – a Kiwi Fruit tart, a Chocolate & Hazelnut layered square and a mini Vanilla Cream Eclair. Not surprised, all turned out to be delicious little pastries! The Chocolate & Hazelnut layered square had a slightly bitter chocolate and bits of hazelnut that made each bite so sumptuous. The kiwi fruit tart had a crust that was firm but had a slightly buttery taste. The Vanilla Cream Eclair had a creamy filling embedded in a crusty pastry. The Raspberry Brioche was moist with a delightfully sweet and fruity topping.


These were wonderful little creations and I can imagine how the regular sized versions must taste like. Prices are a bit on the high side compared to other bake shops in the areas well as patisseries I have been to in NYC. But not exaggeratedly so. The miniature bite-sized pastries were $1.75 a piece and the brioche at $3.40. But I recommend that if you want a treat and want to enjoy delectable cakes, pies, pastries or viennioseries in a comfortable, casual (quiet was how I would describe the Chelsea location) atmosphere, then La Bergamote is the place to go.



Oh yes, and I have heard that they serve wonderful breakfast and coffee as well. Some recommendations are the Mushroom Tartine and Eggs Benedict. Of course, I have to try their Almond Croissant. I will definitely be back... this time for breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment